Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

I will admit that the only reason I made this recipe is that we had about 10 or 15 sad little green tomatoes going to waste outside from our garden this year. It was so hot this summer (record heat in our area) that our tomatoes did very poorly and, in fact, other than cherry tomatoes, we did not get a single ripe tomato. Therefore, if we wanted to eat any of our tomatoes, it was going to have to be the green way.



Ingredients:
About 10-15 small green tomatoes (or the equivalent), sliced about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick or less
About 1 to 1 1/2 cups of your favorite breading (panko, day old sourdough crumbled, flax, corn meal, almond flour, oat flour, etc. mixed with a little Italian Seasonings works well)
1 pasture egg, beaten with about 1 tbsp water
About 1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil or lard to cook

How To:
Dip tomato slices in egg then cover with breading. Saute in a medium sized saute pan (starting out with about a 1/4 cup of oil, enough to cover the bottom) over medium heat until golden brown, a few minutes per side. Add more oil if needed.

Comments:
Personally, this was not my favorite side dish, but my husband loved them and there were no leftovers. Quick and easy dish. Serves about four on the side and probably takes 15 minutes total to prepare and cook. Our tomatoes were so small these look like pickelos (sp??)!


The picture below shows the tomatoes from our garden that we used, plus I added about 4 or 5 more small tomatoes I found after the picture was taken. They were tiny little things with the biggest there being about 2 inches in diameter, or maybe even less. Poor little guys. I am so glad we were able to use them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...