Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tomato Salad

About 4 tomatoes, cut in large chunks
1/2 large red onion, sliced/chopped
About 1/2 english cucumber, sliced and cut in half
Oregano
Salt, pepper
Olive oil
Water (small amount)

Combine all in a bowl, mix, serve.

Comments: This is one of my favorite things to eat in the summer. Traditionally, there should be enough "juice" to dip with Italian bread. To stay with a healthier version, keep the amount of juice minimal. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and then add a splash of water at the end. Tomato salad always makes me think of my great grandma and grandma, who both made this for me in the summers when tomatoes were ready in their gardens.

Be careful with the cucumbers - many of the store bought have a wax coating, which is why I recommend the English cucumbers (they are longer and thinner and usually do not have a wax coating). If I can only find the wax coated cucumbers, I will peel all the skin off, but otherwise I will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...