Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Test Kitchen: Blueberry Muffins

And, more from my never-ending quest to find nutritious snacks....
 




Ingredients:
2 cups almond flour divided (2 tbsp & the rest)
1/2 cup coconut flour
6 eggs, try to use pasture eggs
1/2 cup honey, try to use local
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
1/2 pint blueberries
1 tbsp. butter melted/ softened (optional)
Coconut oil or butter to grease muffin pan

How To:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease six to eight muffin cups. Set aside two tbsp of the almond flour and combine the rest of the almond flour with the coconut flour and salt in a medium sized bowl.

2. In a separate medium sized bowl, combine the wet ingredients - eggs, honey, and vanilla. Whisk to blend thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.

3. Pour batter into muffin cups and dab on melted butter. Sprinkle with remaining almond flour. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Comments:
This recipe is from Mommypotamus and it is my first time giving it a try. The result of this first attempt was a little too sweet for my tastes and I will probably go a little lighter on the honey next time. Also, in all honesty, I forgot to brush the butter on top and they were good anyway. They passed the kid test and it was really great serving such a nourishing dessert-- as you can see, there is nearly one egg in each muffin. I'll definitely make again.

This makes about 6-8 muffins according to the recipe, but my experience was definitely on the 8 muffin side and I packed the muffin cups to the top. I mixed everything by hand in this attempt, but next time I will probably use a hand mixer on the wet ingredients and see if there's any difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...