Saturday, October 27, 2012

Potato & Leek Soup

I love fall and everything it brings with it, including the end to the brutally hot weather, scarlet and golden leaves, family birthdays, the beginning of the holiday season, use of my oven again, and warm soups! Potato soup is a favorite here and in many households, I know. I hope you'll try this very simple, nourishing version. I'll think it will be a regular at your table.



Ingredients:
4 large potatoes (or the equivalent), peeled & diced (I use Russet)
2 tbsp. bacon fat
2 tbsp. ghee (I use this)
2 leeks diced (tender parts only)
3 cups stock
1/2 to 1 cup whole milk or cream, try to find a good local source
Sea salt & pepper to taste

How To:
1. Cook Leeks: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, sauté leeks in the bacon fat and ghee. Stir occasionally. In the meantime, peel and dice your potatoes.

2. Add potatoes: Add potatoes as you get them chopped and stir to mix. Raise heat, add stock, and bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat. ***If you want a thick soup, start out adding only 2 cups stock*** Cook until potatoes are tender, about ten to 15 minutes.

3. Finish: Using a potato masher, rough "mash" the potatoes. You are really just trying to break the larger pieces into smaller pieces. You will have a chunky soup at the end of the mashing process. Add the milk and season with salt & pepper. *** If you want a thinner consistency, add a bit more stock/ water at this point***  Bring back to a low boil, then reduce heat simmer on low until ready to serve.


Comments:
This soup is amazing. So simple and so filling with a really wonderful flavor. Try garnishing with cheese, reserved leeks, crushed bacon, sour cream, etc. This makes enough for about 4 to 8 people, depending on the size of your bowls. Total time is about 20 to 30 minutes, probably closer to 20. You'll be spending a little time there peeling and chopping potatoes and leeks.

You could easily double this recipe and freeze for future use. I have read that the potatoes may change a bit in texture (not a huge deal since they are mostly mashed in this) and that cream-based soups may separate a bit during freezing, so just keep that in mind when thawing and re-heating. It never lasts long enough at our house to freeze!

Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

 
This post was shared at Real Food WednesdayFrugal Days, Sustainable Ways, the HomeAcre Hop, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesday. Please follow the links for more great recipe ideas. 

5 comments:

  1. I love potato and leek soup! Found you on Frugal Days and I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/the-homeacre-hop-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added! and thank you so much for the invitation. I am going to look at all the other entries now. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Linda! So happy to have you join us on The HomeAcre Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love that this is simple but looks amazing.

    Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Linda, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...