Sunday, December 1, 2013

Leftover Turkey & Rice Soup

Every Thanksgiving I am so happy to make lots of stock with my turkey carcass. I always wind up with some extra turkey meat from the process, which I love to use in this soup. This is a sort of "throw it together" type of soup, so if you find you prefer more or less of any ingredient, go for it until you find exactly what you like best!



Ingredients:
2 cups leftover, cooked turkey
Seasonings to taste, for example: I used 1 tsp. sage, salt, marjoram, and 1/2 tsp. pepper, thyme, and turmeric
2 medium to large carrots, peeled and sliced
2-3 celery stalks, sliced, with some leaves
1 small onion, diced 
1/2 cup uncooked rice, brown or white, or even quinoa or barley (fyi, barley has gluten)
Filtered water or stock, enough to cover everything, about 8 cups
 
How To:
1. Add turkey, all vegetables, and water to a medium-sized saucepan. Season.
 
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low or medium-low and lightly simmer for about a half hour or so. If you lose too much water, add more as needed. Taste and re-season, if needed, just before serving. Enjoy!
  
 
Comments:
This is so delicious and simple to make. I know you will really enjoy it.

This post was shared at Simple Meals Friday. Please follow the link for other great recipe ideas!

This recipe was featured at Simple Meals Friday! Hooray!
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google+!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely recipe! I LOVE when I can make a new meal out of leftovers. Thanks for linking up at Simple Meals Friday. I shared this on my FB page today at Simple Life Abundant Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so perfect and soothing! Thank you for sharing it with Simple Meals Friday. We will be featuring in in the morning!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...